Tennis Committee Role Descriptions -Updated January 2023
1. Tennis Captain - leads the Tennis Committee, managing the Tennis Section governance, strategy and objective setting, plus overall achievement of objectives. Responsible for appointing employees of the Tennis Section. Chairs the Tennis Committee meetings and is the representative of the Tennis Section on the WBC General Committee. Must be eligible to be a Club Director.
2. Membership - develops and maintains a view of the Tennis Section membership, including numbers, retention, turnover and satisfaction. Ensures actions are underway to understand changes in membership and to protect and grow membership as required by the Tennis Committee. Tasks include preparing new member information, monitoring correct use of Visitors’ Book and sending questionnaire to members who leave. Supports General Committee Safeguarding Officer.
3. Financial, Legal & Commercial - Manages the development and achievement of the Tennis Section Annual Budget. Leads preparation of capital expenditure plans, grants and donations. Ensures the Tennis Section complies with legal requirements. Holds a Tennis Vice-Captain position to fulfil the Tennis Captain’s responsibilities when delegated.
4. Marketing & PR - Manages Tennis Section member communications (e.g. All4One newsletter), member recruitment (e.g. Open Days), and external media engagement. Responsible for developing and maintaining traditional media and social media communication channels. Manages the Tennis Section element of the WBC Website. Leads efforts to win Tennis Club Awards.
5. Facilities & Development - Leads the Tennis Section to ensure tennis facilities are of the highest possible standard and represents the Tennis Section in overall Club Development matters. Manages relationships with key suppliers for court and floodlight maintenance, etc.
6. Team Tennis - Manages the involvement and organisation of Men’s, Ladies’ and Junior teams in external club competitions (e.g. C&W League, AEGON National Club League, etc.). Ensures Team Captains are in place for each team, and WBC involvement in all leagues is well organised. Organises team practices as required. Provides feedback to the Tennis Committee about the interests and requirements of this group of members.
7. Club Players Representative - Represents the interests of players who regularly participate in organised social mix-ins, and regular private play. Provides feedback to the Tennis Committee about the interests and requirements of this group of members.
8. General member - Helps the Tennis Captain and Committee in a general to achieve the highest standards for the Tennis Section in total and undertakes specific projects from time to time.
9. Secretary - Supports the Tennis Captain with agendas and preparing for meetings. Keeps minutes of Tennis Committee meetings, and ensures Section records are organised, securely stored, and made available (as required).
10. Coaching & Tournaments - Manages all coaching, organised social mix-in and tournament activities for the Tennis Section. Coaching includes Group Coaching, Individual Coaching and Schools Coaching. The Tennis Manager role fulfils this position as an employee of the Club, and is therefore appointed to this position. The Tennis Manager manages the self-employed Coaches and other specific staff (e.g. grounds staff) who work at the Club.
11. IT & Systems – Co-opted role to provide specialist support and advice to the Tennis Captain & Committee.
The members of the tennis committee are listed below.